When You’ve Been in an Accident
What to Do – And Why
At the Scene – No Matter Who is at Fault – Whether or Not Police Arrive:
- Record name, address and phone number of the other driver.
- Take a photo of the other driver’s license and current insurance card.
- Make a recorded statement of the incident as told by you AND as told by the other driver.
This is to protect yourself. Stories change as time passes!
- Create written and signed statements.
If You Are At Fault –
Give info to your insurance company.
If They Are At Fault –
Contact the other driver’s insurance company, noting that you can provide a recording of their insured’s statement.
Note that they may contact you trying to assign a percentage of the responsibility for the accident on you, giving them leverage to reduce the portion of the damage repair that they are willing to assume.
It’s important for you to protect yourself by recording their insured’s statement at the scene before anyone starts to alter the facts after the incident!
Know Your Rights!
- It is your right to select your collision repair shop of choice, per Nevada State Law.
- There is no need to secure multiple estimates. One is all that you need.
- Your shop of choice should be the party that submits photos and estimate to the insurance company covering the damage. Leave that to the experts!
- Seek Medical and/or Legal Advice if needed, usually depending upon the severity of the incident.